Friday, April 25, 2008

I Failed, Then I Passed

So, last Friday I got a call that I had failed the 1hour glucose tolerance test. That was a bit of a shocker since I've only gaine abou 10lbs w/ this pregancy and I thought that gestational diabetes resulted in really large babies and (to be honest) large Moms too.

Despite my misgivings about it - I had to go in for the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. Ok - this is how it works. You fast overnight and go in. When you get there they take a vial of blood, make you drink the sugar drink and then you wait. An hour later they take your blood again, and they do that 2 more times on the hour.

If you know me you know that I have a history of passing out when I get my finger pricked let alone a blood draw. So this was an ORDEAL for me. But I did it. And despite having failed the first test, I just found out that I passed the second.

I am kind of frustrated that I had to go through all of that - I hate getting my blood drawn and to have passed the test means it was all for naught. But the smarter side of my brain says that it was necessary - that if it had been positive I would have had to have been testing sugars and the baby could have had complications. I am going to focus on that side - otherwise I might cry again about having to give blood.

It's OK - I admit it - I'm a wimp...when it comes to blood!

No comments: