Thursday, June 19, 2008

105

Alright - the number 105 doesn't really mean anything unless you put it into context. I mean - if you told me you were going to give me $105, I'd be happy. If you said that the pair of shoes I wanted to buy was $105 I'd say - hmm...those are a bit expensive. If you said you had 105 kids, well I'd know you were lying...well...I guess you could have adopted a lot...

Anyway - my point is that I've never really thought of the number 105 before last night. But last night - I thought about it a lot! Last night baby girls fever hit 105 degrees. Luckily, I have a friend who just happens to be a pediatric nurse, and we just happened to be on the phone minutes before I took her temperature. While we were talking her temp was only 104.2, but when we hung up and I took it again - it was 105.1. I called her back and she said - calmly I might add - ok - you need to pack her up and take her to the ER.

So, we did.

Only on the way there dear husband decided to call our MD, who was still having office hours and told us to bring her right in. Which, we did. Well, 2 hours of sitting in the MD's office later, which I must admit, while not fun, was much better than sitting in the ER - her fever came down about 1.5 degrees, and we left with instructions to do a clean catch of urine in the morning.

If you've ever tried to get a urine sample from a 19 month old...well...I won't go into the details, but it wasn't fun. But we got it. Her fever today has stayed lower - a high of 103.2, but that's still high.

Apparently she has been exposed to the Roseola virus - which causes high fevers for up to 5 days. Kids get sick, but the 105 number is the magic number - anything at 105 and above is serious business. I never want to see 105 on a thermometer again.

Now about that $105 you owe me!

No comments: