Thursday, August 7, 2008

World Breastfeeding Week

If you didn't know, it is World Breastfeeding Week a week to celebrate and encourage breastfeeding. As a nursing mom, I totally support this type of educational week. I swear people think that breastfeeding is dirty - otherwise I can't explain the dirty looks I get when I nurse my daughter (and I always wear a Hooter Hider so it's not even like they can see my breast or anything.

Although I must admit that at first it was daunting to nurse in public - even with a cover - it has gotten so much easier - there isn't much you can do when you have a screaming child who needs to be fed...hence it gets easier. The first time baby girl #1 needed to be fed in public I remember hiding behind my stroller sitting on a bench with my cover and trying not to look anyone in the eye. Now, I'll sit anywhere and do it, although I am not comfortable enough not to be covered... (but more power to you if you are!)

Even my husband would rather I go somewhere "private"...but as I tell him - when you are responsible for feeding our daughter from your body you can go anywhere private that you want, but I am going to continue leading my life.

I get that it has to do with the breasts and that makes people uncomfortable, but when I need to feed my daughter...that's what needs to happen, and how uncomfortable can you be when you can't see anything? Thoughts?

No comments: